Welcome to my blog!

Relish in the little things.

Friday, August 12, 2011

Before and after



So here's the before and after picture of my new desk chair! Even Toby thought it was ugly. I found this old-fashioned worn out granny chair for about $20 and turned it into a mod looking piece. I scoured the internet for just the right chair and they run $100 and up. No thanks! Just a quick spray paint in dark gray (Rustoleum Painter's Touch spray paint in London Gray for $4.00 a can) and a recovered seat in a fun polka dot print (by Birch Fabrics) is just the best friend that my white lacquer desk (see previous posts) needs. Now to find curtains and a rug...I digress.

Last night we painted the office walls in a crisp, neutral gray called Polished Silver by Valspar and I'll put pictures up soon. It's the perfect tone of gray- not too blue or green and definitely not drab! We tested a patch on the wall with the tired out periwinkle and it took on a weird shade. So Larry and I agreed that primer was definately in order. He also got a wild hair and decided to scrape our popcorn ceilings in the office only (for now). It was the messiest thing we've done, next to using a tile saw. Yikes! He managed to figure out how to resurface the ceiling without too much drama. Note to self: never buy a spray can of orange peel resurafacing for $15 at Lowes. It made a mess. I'll have to ask what he used in the end because the result is beautiful. No more nasty popcorn ceiling!!

So my vision for this space was a modern and sophisticated office that would be functional, inviting and beautiful. I've always shyed away from too modern because it tends to look cold and sparse. My color scheme is darker burnt orange/gray/silver/white. I've been hunting for weeks trying to find just the right pieces to bring in to tie everything together. Here's some fun finds that will not break the bank! West Elm has been one of my go too places as has Home Goods.


Birch Fabrics make really FUN prints..I used their polka dot fabric in orange and white (bought from Worthy Goods on Etsy: 1/2 yard for $8.50) to recover the old chair above. I love it. I still had a 1/4 of a yard left for a small fabric bin or something else.


Oceeania in Persimmon by Duralee spotted on draperyrow.com. I love, love, love this fabric almost too much to cut it. It gives me just the right amount of "sea life" with fish, an octopus (for Erica) and other creatures. I got this for under $37.00 a yard! This is normally up to $60 a yard and it is to the trade only. I'm going to frame a big piece of this (I think) or cover a few squares of plain cork to go above my desk as a cork board. I can't decide!


A pop of color from biscuit tins at West Elm. I got the small one for $9.00!


A silver lacquer tray, also from West Elm for $22.00.


A peek-a-boo tealight candle holder from West Elm in porcelain white for $8.00.

There is still much to be done and we're going to be laying the laminate floor this weekend. I hear it's much, much (much) easier than tile...here's what we chose: Swiftlock Laminate in Hickory Chestnut




After pics will be up soon. I can't wait to work and live in this new space. What have you been working on lately?

Christy

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Eben pagan has released his new course guru blueprint and in this guru masterclass he teaches all that he has learn in his marketing career.
Check this website to know more about Eben pagan guru Master class..[url= http://www.ebenpagangurublueprint.net/masterclassvideo2/]]Eben pagan guru blueprint[/url]
If you want to know more about the course you can follow the video on youtube about the guru blueprint..
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0tUV4CWGSs]Eben pagan guru blueprint[/url]

you can go here to find out more about the guru masterclass.. [url=http://www.helpandinfo.com/guru-masterclass-by-eben-pagan-free-training.html]Eben pagan guru blueprint[/url]



You can learn much more about marketing by just listening to this guy talk. he is such an amazing personality. See as eben pagan releases his master class..
guru blueprint..